017 | The importance of having brand experts at the table and how purpose is new form of disruption with Ray DePaul – Part 2
Why you’ve got to listen to this episode:
This is part two of my two-part conversation with Ray DePaul, Director of the Institute for Innovation and Entrepreneurship at the Bissett School of Business at Mount Royal University. Ray was also the director of product planning for Research in Motion, the company that brought us the Blackberry. A successful entrepreneur himself, Ray now teaches and help guide entrepreneurs from all industries.
Ray shares with us many stories and examples of what it takes to build a successful business and a meaningful brand. In this second part of my conversation with Ray we discuss the importance of having brand not as an end of the process phase but being part of the whole decision-making process from the very beginning.
Ray also discusses how brand and purpose driven organizations, is the new form of disruption.
Who can benefit from listening in:
This episode walks you through the tangible benefits, including bottom line, of having a clear “why” purpose and acting on it.
Ray provides many great examples of how many organizations are attracting committed talent, creating evangelist customers and disrupting industries and markets by defining and living their brand purpose.
If you’re a new business trying to penetrate a market or an existing business that may feel threatened by new disruptive product and services, this episode is a must listen.
Key takeaways from this episode:
- If all you know about your audience is their demographics and not their social and emotional drivers, you don’t know enough to effectively communicate with them.
- In order to be successful your product and service need to be in sync with your brand purpose and messaging.
- The growing trend of businesses being more socially minded, understanding and embracing the role they play in society is the new form of disruption.
- If you’re an incumbent and are feeling the pressure of new purpose driven businesses, you should.
- Now more than any other time before, customer’s whispers can easily turn into screams. As a business you need to make sure those whispers and screams are positive ones.
Links to resources mentioned in this episode
- Ray DePaul
- Institute for Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Clay Christensen
- Jobs to be done theory
- FIASCO Gelato
- Village Brewery
- Local Laundry
- Alberta Podcast Network
Thanks for listening
To share your thoughts
- If you have a question or episode topic idea leave a message here.
- Share this show on Twitter, Facebook, or LinkedIn.
- Leave an honest review on Apple Podcasts. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one.
Don’t forget to subscribe on Apple Podcasts.BACK TO PODCAST MAIN
SUBSCRIBEFor brand and marketing tips, trends and other information sign up to our blog.