018 | How a non-profit is finding success after defining and speaking about their “why” purpose
Why you’ve got to listen to this episode:
In this episode I’m speaking with Joseph Potts and Ed Mrozek directors at the Bow Valley SPCA. Ed is the treasurer and Joseph is the chair of fund development and neither one has any background in communications, marketing or branding.
They both took my one-year long course, which was made possible through the support of the Calgary Foundation. And even without any previous background and experience, they have followed the learnings and did all the hard work and it’s paying off.
They share with us what has made them completely change their thinking and approach, what they have already implemented and the amazing results they’re seeing both internally and externally.
Who can benefit from listening in:
Whether you’re a non-profit or not this episode will give a real-life example of how an organization facing many of the same challenges of every other organization have implemented some fundamental brand concepts and are now ripping the benefits.
The Bow Valley SPCA are faced with such challenges as limited resources, financial, human and time and have a great need of financial support, of reaching and engaging a wider audience amongst others. Sound familiar?
In less than a year, they have managed to gain a clear image of who they are, have started to speak about their “why” purpose and are already seeing great results both in engagement and in financial support. Perhaps even more importantly is the positive experience and lifted spirits their team has experienced.
Key takeaways from this episode:
- If your tagline or internal mantra is focused on what you do or how you do it, you’re missing the bigger picture and most important part of who you are and the difference you make.
- Understanding why people engage with you is eye opening and fundamental to find out the true value of the organization.
- There is a natural tendency to jump to tactics, but if you don’t have a solid brand platform, you’ll miss the opportunity to connect with your audience with what truly matters to them.
- Financial support is an outcome not a goal. When you connect with the people that support you through your values, you’ll have very positive outcomes.
This episode includes a downloadable .pdf with steps you need to take to form a solid brand based on your “why” statement.
Thanks for listening
To share your thoughts
- If you have a question or episode topic idea leave a message here.
- Share this show on Twitter, Facebook, or LinkedIn.
- Leave an honest review on Apple Podcasts. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one.
Don’t forget to subscribe on Apple Podcasts.BACK TO PODCAST MAIN
SUBSCRIBEFor brand and marketing tips, trends and other information sign up to our blog.