March 22, 2018
22 | Flying high: How WestJet built an iconic brand with Richard Bartrem
Why you’ve got to listen to this episode:
WestJet did what so many other airlines have not been able to.
Building a successful business is tough to do in any industry but it may even more so in the airline industry. WestJet went from 3 planes flying to 5 cities to 167 planes flying to 21 countries and 121 destinations.
Most importantly they built a strong culture, known for their happy “WestJetters” (staff), and become a beloved brand recognized for being fun, caring and friendly.
How does an airline, which is usually highly criticized and disliked, managed to become a beloved brand? What is WestJet secret?
In this episode, you’ll listen to my conversation with Richard Bartrem, Vice President of Marketing and Communications at WestJet, on how they built, and managed to strengthen as they grow, such a strong brand from the inside out.
Who can benefit from listening in:
Organizations often say the staff is their most valuable resource and that’s certainly true when it comes to building a strong brand. Staff members are your brand and their actions have a direct impact in your brand perception.
In this episode, you’ll learn how WestJet built a strong brand culture where staff fully understand the role they play in building and strengthening the brand and in contributing to the profitability of the business.
This episode is full of great insights and useful advice for any organization that understands the important role its staff plays in building the brand and the business.
Key takeaways from this episode:
- Every job within the organization has a direct impact and contribution to the client experience.
- You need to know your audience to provide a unique positive experience.
- Empower your staff to provide the best experience they can to clients.
- Your staff needs to know your values and understand how to create experiences that embody those values.
- Celebrate your people. They are your brand.
Here are a few things to illustrate WestJet’s brand!
Thanks for listening
To share your thoughts
- If you have a question or episode topic idea leave a message here.
- Share this show on Twitter, Facebook, or LinkedIn.
- Leave an honest review on Apple Podcasts. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one.
Don’t forget to subscribe on Apple Podcasts.BACK TO PODCAST MAIN
SUBSCRIBEFor brand and marketing tips, trends and other information sign up to our blog.