030 | You need the right team to change the world with Rafael Achondo from Matteria
Why you’ve got to listen to this episode:
Organizations are communities of people who come together every day to work towards a goal and they depend on strong teams to achieve those goals. But many organizations struggle to find and keep the right team members.
Today there are more educated and demanding consumers ready to reward or punish brands depending on their sustainability standards. And there is a more demanding labor force looking to work for employers with a healthy leadership and the correct set of values and alignment with the society that they want to live in.
Talent today is frustrated with conventional organizations. They want instead to work for organizations that share their values, have a genuine purpose and can demonstrate their commitment to have a positive impact in the environment, economy and community.
The good news is, there are huge benefits for purpose driven organizations who are based on and committed to living by their values. Not only they attract and retain higher talent, they also gain on all levels including the bottom line.
In this episode we talk to Rafael Achondo, founder of Matteria, a talent attraction and management firm, on the tangible benefits of purpose driven brands.
Who can benefit from listening in:
If you are the founder or on the board of an organization, or if you are an entrepreneur or a business owner, this episode is an important one.
Becoming a purpose driven brand is not a marketing tactic or a communication or reputational exercise. It is how you attract higher talent, how you reduce staff turnover, how you increase market value and how you become relevant and meaningful to your team and to your audiences.
Being a purpose driven brand is no longer a way to differentiate yourself but it is the only way to be competitive.
Key takeaways from this episode:
- To have a strong team that delivers on your goals you need to find talent that has the technical skills and purpose alignment.
- Don’t confuse sustainability with short term actions of philanthropy or corporate social responsibility.
- Organizations have to define their purpose and show their true commitment to it.
- Being a purpose driven brand, it’s not only good for people and the environment but it’s good for business as well.
- You can’t fake a brand. Once you define your purpose you must be fully committed to it. It must be part of your entire organization.
- It’s not only consumers and workers who are looking for purpose driven brands. Investors are as well as they know there is greater revenue growth from purpose driven brands.
Links to resources mentioned in this episode
- Matteria Linkedin
- Matteria Facebook
- Matteria Twitter
- Matteria Instagram
- Alberta Podcast Network
- Podcasts Connect Event registration
Key sources on the benefits of purpose driven brands:
- GIIRS: http://b-analytics.net/giirs-funds
- Project ROI: http://projectroi.com/
- Millennials Drive Growth in Sustainable Investing: https://www.morganstanley.com/ideas/sustainable-socially-responsible-investing-millennials-drive-growth
- Achieving Breakthrough Results in Sustainability (Bain):
- LinkedIn 2018 Report Highlights Top Global Trends in Recruiting: https://news.linkedin.com/2018/1/global-recruiting-trends-2018
- The Deloitte Millennial Survey: https://www2.deloitte.com/global/en/pages/about-deloitte/articles/millennialsurvey.html
- Just Good Business: An Investor’s Guide to #BCorps: https://cbey.yale.edu/node/3441
The supplement for this episode is Matteria’s Impact DNA internal document.
Thanks for listening
To share your thoughts
- If you have a question or episode topic idea leave a message here.
- Share this show on Twitter, Facebook, or LinkedIn.
- Leave an honest review on Apple Podcasts. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one.
Don’t forget to subscribe on Apple Podcasts.BACK TO PODCAST MAIN
SUBSCRIBEFor brand and marketing tips, trends and other information sign up to our blog.