039 | Your brand as a movie
Why you’ve got to listen to this episode:
Are you a movie buff? I love a great story, most of us do. We’re hard wired to be captivated by stories. Stories are how we make sense of the world. If you think about it, we’re constantly looking for and interpreting cues to figure out who that person is or what that company is all about. This is how we make the decisions of who to hang out with and who to do business with.
This is more and more true at a time where consumers have plenty of options. There are so many options that its harder and harder to decipher what is the best product or service. Not the best in terms of quality, that’s a given, your product better be of quality, but the best in terms of fit. The true deciding factor lies is in which one of these products I feel is the closest to who I am, to who I want to be? And to answer that question we look for the story that company is telling.
Your brand is who you are, what you stand for and believe in. It’s not a way to differentiate yourself, although that it does, it’s not a plot to gain more market share, but a genuine way to be yourself and live by your values. It’s a strong sense of identity and the assurance to be yourself.
Do you know who your company is? What you stand for and believe in? Do you tell your story with every decision you make? Is your true self reflected in every detail, however small? If stories are how we make sense of the world as it what we use to help us make decisions, then it’s really important that you know who you are, what story to tell and to actually do tell your story.
Who can benefit from listening in:
Summer is upon us and at this time we tend to read a lot of books and watch a lot of movies. Good movies are a great way to learn how to tell a story. I often ask my clients to think about their brand as a movie. If they were to make a movie of their brand what would it look like? Who would they cast? What would the actors be wearing? What would the set look like? What kind of music would be playing?
I ask them to think about a movie for their brand because to do so, you have to think about all the elements that make a movie, which are also part of your brand.
- Cast and Crew – Staff (frontline and behind the scenes)
- Set Design – Your office, retail story or online presence
- Costume Design – Your uniform, dress code
- Movie tittle – Your company name
When you think about your brand as a movie, you realize the importance of details you may be ignoring now or not using to help you tell your story.
What is the movie of your brand?
In today’s episode learn more about how you can use a movie analogy to help you tell your story.
Key takeaways from this episode:
- Your brand story is the most powerful tool you have. Are you telling your story with every decision you make, and in every detail, you can think of?
- Stories is how we make sense of the world and how we decide who to hang out with and who to do business with.
- People look for stories to decide, so it’s never been more important to know your story and to tell it with every opportunity you have.
- “The most powerful person in the world is the storyteller” Steve Jobs. What story are you telling?
Thanks for listening
To share your thoughts
- If you have a question or episode topic idea leave a message here.
- Share this show on Twitter, Facebook, or LinkedIn.
- Leave an honest review on Apple Podcasts. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one.
Don’t forget to subscribe on Apple Podcasts.BACK TO PODCAST MAIN
SUBSCRIBEFor brand and marketing tips, trends and other information sign up to our blog.