May 16, 2019
63 | How to really get to know your audience
Why you’ve got to listen to this episode:
We all know we can’t be all things to everyone and shouldn’t try. Finding the right market segment for your product or service is critical. Brands typically segment their target audience based on demographic information such as age, gender and income. Although demographics provide some useful information, it’s not nearly enough to truly understand your audience.
To help get a better understanding of your audience, some brands look at generational groups such as Millennials and Baby Boomers. Although generational groups provide some deeper insights, there are still vast differences amongst people from the same generation. Two people in the same age group can have completely different outlooks, world views and interests.
To truly understand your audience, you need to discern their values, priorities, attitudes and motivations.
Who can benefit from listening in:
Every brand should have a good handle on who their ideal customer is, not just based on age or gender but rather on their needs and desires. In this episode, we explore some ways to uncover the information you need to truly understand your audience and be able to provide them with the right product or service and craft the right messages and strategies to reach and convert them.
Key takeaways from this episode:
- Knowing your audience will help you shape and validate your product or service idea.
- Beware not to fall into stereotypes associated with generational groups such as Millennials or Baby Boomers. These are broad groupings and there are vast differences between people amongst these groups.
Links to resources mentioned in this episode
Related episodes that can help provide further detail:
- Episode 008 – What business are you really in?
- Episode 010 – How to find your why.
- Episode 033 – Why people buy.
Understanding your audience is critical to ensure you’re providing the right offering and can generate the desired reaction. This guide will guide you through a process to better understand your audiences motivations, values, attitudes and priorities. This information is critical to help you shape messages that will resonate and create the desired action.
Thanks for listening
To share your thoughts
- If you have a question or episode topic idea leave a message here.
- Share this show with the links below.
- Leave an honest review on Apple Podcasts. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one.
Don’t forget to subscribe on Apple Podcasts.BACK TO PODCAST MAIN
SUBSCRIBEFor brand and marketing tips, trends and other information sign up to our blog.