February 8, 2020
72 | How to go from “one of many” to “one of a kind” and stay that way – with David Lemley
Why you’ve got to listen to this episode:
You can say that every industry or market is oversaturated. Meaning, consumers have a lot of options to choose from. This is a good thing for consumers, although it can also be overwhelming. For brands, what this means is that “good is not good enough” anymore. A quality product or service no longer differentiates you from your competitors, but it’s rather a basic requirement to compete in that segment. This also means, that despite having a high-quality product or service, your brand is likely to just be “one of many” rather than “one of a kind”.
In addition to oversaturated markets, brands face fast-changing trends, changing demographics and fierce competitors quick to imitate successful products or services.
In this episode, I speak with David Lemley, president and chief strategist of Retail Vodoo, about the main external challenges brands face in their pursuit to stand out in overcrowded markets and how to overcome these challenges.
Who can benefit from listening in:
Business owners, non-profits leaders, marketers and communicators alike, can benefit from this episode. Regardless of the industry, you’re in, it’s harder and harder to stand out and stay top of mind. Learning how to navigate external challenges is critical to success.
Just as important, but often not addressed, is the ability to identify internal blocks or blind spots, that may be stopping brands to evolve or do what is needed to remain relevant and outlast competitors.
Key takeaways from this episode:
- There is a big difference between evolving preferences and fleeting trends.
- Knowing your purpose is fundamental to guide your organization and to understand when to evolve and stay on the right path of meaningful engagement with your audience.
- Marketing needs to be about strengthening your brand and not about opportunism.
- Authenticity is hard to get and harder to keep.
- Consumers are buying an ideology not products and services.
Links to resources mentioned in this episode
- Retail Vodoo
- Essentia Water
- Trend Hunter
- Alberta Podcast Network
- NorQuest – Career Moves
Thanks for listening
To share your thoughts
- If you have a question or episode topic idea leave a message here.
- Share this show with the links below.
- Leave an honest review on Apple Podcasts. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one.
Don’t forget to subscribe on Apple Podcasts.BACK TO PODCAST MAIN
SUBSCRIBEFor brand and marketing tips, trends and other information sign up to our blog.